Cumbria Music Hub is a Ten Pieces Champion. Since the launch of BBC Ten Pieces in 2015 Hub Partners and schools have been busy as part of the nationwide BBC Ten Pieces project. Highlights include:
- Cumbria Youth Orchestra featured highlights from the Ten Pieces repertoire in the Hub Summer Showcase Concert in July 2018.
- Whitehaven had a special visit from the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, bringing live orchestral music to 1200 primary children.
- Ghyllside school in Kendal was one of just 10 schools to have a Take-over day with musicians from the BBC Philharmonic.
- Celebration Concerts around the county have brought children from different primary schools together to showcase their work.
Thank you for organising a fabulous concert. We all had a ball and it was great to take part and to see all the other representations of the 10 pieces.
Mrs Richardson, St Thomas School
BBC Ten Pieces 3
Ten Pieces III is a new set of classical pieces to engage children aged 7-14 and inspire them to make their own creative responses to the music.
Free teaching resources are now available for all 10 pieces from the Ten Pieces III repertoire to help students explore and get creative with the music over the 2017/18 academic year, including:
- Exciting animated short films presented by Naomi Wilkinson and Lemn Sissay
- Orchestral and choral performance films
- Classroom lesson plans for primary and secondary teachers
- Downloadable and simplified instrumental and vocal arrangements
- MP3 recordings to listen to and download
Kerry Andrew: No Place Like – Commission for a cappella voice
Mason Bates: Anthology of Fantastic Zoology – Sprite; A Bao A Qu
Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges: Symphony No. 1 in G major – Allegro (1st mvt)
Aaron Copland: Rodeo – Hoe-Down
Antonín Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 in E minor, ‘From the New World’ – Largo (2nd mvt)
Edward Elgar: ‘Enigma’ Variations – Theme (Enigma), variations 11, 6 & 7
Carl Orff: Carmina burana – ‘O fortuna’
Henry Purcell: Abdelazer – Rondeau
Jean Sibelius: Finlandia
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker – Waltz of the Flowers; Russian Dance